Sunday, December 22, 2013

Kidney,anyone?

Simanei Yisrael ….. Rachmanim, Gomlei Chasadim. Yidden are special. The connection we feel with one another and the caring that is shown towards each other is indescribable. There are no other people in the world like us.

From the businessman who was audited because the amount of money he reported that he gave to charity (the IRS thought it was fraud) to the organizations. And what organizations! For sick people, there is Hatzala and Bikur Cholim, and all the organizations to help people with cancer R’L and other terminal illnesses. For poor people, there is Tomchei Shabbos, and organizations to help with Brissim, Bar Mitzvas, Chasunos, and Levayos.

 And then there are communities with Chaveirim and Shomrim, and free loan Gemachim. Gemachim! That would require an article all by itself. Lists and lists in every Frum community. From gowns for your simcha, to clowns that make others B’simcha, from tangible goods to intangible services, it can boggle the mind how virtually no area has been left out. If there is a need, there is a gemach to help.

The concepts for each one are all so different but there is one common denominator that unites each and every organization and Gemach. That is the Yiddishe Hartz, and the genuine desire to give. Mi K’amchah Yisrael!

I was thinking about this the other day. With the launching of ObamaCare, health insurance has become a rising concern. We are all equally befuddled on what the advantages are of the mandatory government insurance. But one thing we are very clear on, the rising costs that are coming out of our pockets. And the fine print about what each policy doesn’t cover anymore is equally disconcerting. And I was wondering how can I, a concerned member of Klal Yisrael, help my fellow brethren?

Thus the idea of a novel service, an innovative Gemach, was born. I am offering to do any surgery that someone would need (and I hope you should never need it Chas V’Shalom) right here in my home. I will do anything, from pulling a tooth, or setting a broken bone, even putting in a stent to unclog a valve of the heart. I won’t charge for my services and no job will be too big or too small. It will be a pure Chessed to help those in need.

You might be baffled on how I can do something like this. But think about it for a second, I never went to medical school, so I don’t have any tuition debt that I have to pay up. A kitchen knife, a standard hammer, and a utility scissors-I have those tools in my house already. I don’t have to invest in any expensive medical equipment. I have no overhead costs to cover; it won’t cost me a cent. That is how I plan on committing to such a huge undertaking and passing it on free of charge.

One disclaimer I will issue; I don’t know the difference between the stomach and liver. I know a heart has four valves, but I've never seen a real one. In fact, I’ve actually never seen any organ that is inside the human body. But I do have one thing going for me. I want to help people and I really mean well. Fatal risks involved? Likely. But I can assure you that there will be no 'arois gevarfena gelt. involved, whatsoever.

Now obviously I made up this whole ridiculous story to prove a point, and here it is.

There are many people around; sometimes it is a concerned neighbor or friend, sometimes even an upstanding member of the community, who give of their precious time to others. They will provide a listening ear to the Tzaros that people go through. They offer Eitzos and Hadracha culled from their Seichel Hayashar, often basing it on their Torah Hashkafa.

Do they understand trauma? No. What about abuse? Not that either. So much so that they don’t even understand why people spend hundreds of hours training in these fields. Its arois gevarfene gelt. They can do it for free. They know how to be available all the time; they know how to be sympathetic; they know Sifrei Mussar; they know better.

The risks involved? Equally as fatal as me providing surgery. But I would be considered an Achzar, they, Tzaddikim. Make no mistake. It is one and the same.

If you do not have training in trauma, you don’t know what you are doing. Do a real Chessed for the ones who are hurting, leave it to the professionals to do the job required to help and heal the unfortunate victim. You need to understand that you don’t understand, that this is something deeper and more far reaching than you can imagine. Have the strength and humility to recognize that you need to refer to someone who is trained to deal with this. Don’t just say you really care, even though that is how you feel, do something that shows you really do. Be honest with yourself so that you can be honest with others.

I’ll admit my lack of experience and therefore won’t operate on you. I deserve the same treatment in return.


3 comments:

  1. So very true and brilliantly put.

    I had somebody who took care of me during my difficult teenage years. He was always there for me, no matter what. But I have recently begun to realise how things could have been different had I been treated by a professional, instead of just having just been looked after by a caring mashgiach (in all fairness to him however, if not for him, I don't think I would be around today).

    I recently asked him if he deals with abused boys differently today than he did years ago, and he admitted that he does. Today, he sends abuse victims for counselling.

    Many chareidim are resistant to change. To most, professional treatment borders on kefira. To some, it even crosses the line. That my mashgiach accepts that he could have done things better and now does so, is the sign that he is a real mentsh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I ask, how does professional treatment border on kefira?
    I can see how some would be resistant to change, but kefira?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is based on a misconception that therapy is based on Freud and some of his theories are Kefira.
    But it is not true.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the sensitivity of this blog's topic, comments are moderated. Generally posted, although not always right away.

Blog Archive