Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Voice Recognition



When the youngest was abused
By not one older but two
Threw the family into a quandary
Didn't know what to do

Such horrible news
And what awful shame
It brings on our family
It brings to our name

What can we do
To keep us untainted?
If the truth will reveal
We'll lose all acquainted

We can't change the past
So not much of a choice
We must protect ourselves 
We will take away her Voice

We will question her again
And express our doubt,
We will blame, we will fault
And her Voice won't come out

Convince her she needs
To lie because she's ill
And she's vying for attention
We will keep her Voice still

We will plague her with guilt
And express our disbelief
We will accuse of family torn apart
Her Voice - the cause of all grief

With pressure and force
We will do the job right
Until confident we feel
And can sleep peaceful at night.

And years of pain
Of self blame and self doubt
All bottled within
Cause silence can't shout

But slowly she realizes
Voices - its' hers alone
Cannot be stolen or squelched
She's in charge of the tone

She doesn't need them to listen
Doesn't need them to approve
Their control is a facade
Her Voice - they can not remove

And she promises herself
To cherish and protect her truth
To be there now when no one was
There for her back in her youth

She feels fear as this is new
Her own Voice she hardly recognizes
It sounds low; it sounds rusty
Yet more powerful than she ever realizes

She can't change them or her past
But it's all her choice
Despite the menace; the threats
No one can take away her Voice

5 comments:

  1. MYG - you never gave up on my writing even when I gave up on myself. Want to note that and express appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know there's a lot more coming still. Even if you don't. :-) My pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Can't wait to live up to that! I am trying to promise to myself, that I will be true to my voice. Not sure what it sounds like yet. But if time is no pressure, and the pace is my own, I hope to find it. One step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never have good words to say, but I'm proud of your strength of character. And I'm grateful for it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the sensitivity of this blog's topic, comments are moderated. Generally posted, although not always right away.

Blog Archive